.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, July 14, 2006

Plotting Crescent orientation using Google Earth

Those who are looking back for updates on the Flight 93 memorial story, I won't have anything to add myself until I get back from my meeting with the architect at the crash-site next week. In the meantime, Eugene Hound Dog Frowner came up with a nifty way to corroborate my mathematical and graphical demonstrations of the Mecca-orientation of the Crescent/Bowl of Embrace.

Eugene uses the direction projecting functionality built into Google Earth to make projections from the crash-site. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks like a perfectly sound technique. Eugene says he will post additional instructions for others who want to double-check this verification.

A new inconvenience for investigators is that the Memorial Project has restricted access to the Crescent PDFs (which, having been generated by a CAD program, amount to a set of blueprints, sans dimension marks). The plans are still available, but are now password protected. Call the archive curator at 814 443-4557 for access. I also have copies of the PDFs that I can email to investigators.

Comments:
I don't know if you've tried another way. There are some Great Circle calculators online. This one:
http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm
for example will give you the bearing to check against the crescent's orientation.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?